Tourism

 

 

Radha Krishna Temple

 

 

 

 

Raipur

All the important Towns of the Region like Bhilai (25 km), Durg(41 km), Jagadalpur (297 Km), {Flight / Train facilities} Rajnandgaon(70 km), Bilaspur (115 km) Jabalpur (369 km) and Bhopal(712 km) are connected with Raipur by Road. Visitors can also go to Hirakud Dam near Sambalpur and Puri (Orissa) by Road for which Bus Service is available. Raipur offers an attractive altenate Road route to Kanha National Park and enroute the traveller may also visit Bhoramdeo too. The route is Raipur-Kawardha- Bhoramdeo-Bodla- Chilpi- Supkhar-Muddi (178Km)

Raipur was founded by the Kalchuri King Ram Chandra of Raipur last quarter of the 14th century AD. Now, Raipur is the Headquarters of the District and Division of the same name Centrally located in the newly formed State Chhattisgarh.  Raipur is the biggest city of the Region and a fast developing important industrial centre. The establishment of Chili Steel Plant in the country has given added momentum to the pace of development of the city.

Raipur is connected by Air with Delhi-Bhubaneshwar, Bhopal,and Jabalpur. It is an important station of S.E. Railway on Mumbai, Nagpur-Calcutta Route. The National Highway 6 passes through the city and National Highway No.43 links it with Vijaya Nagaram.

 
top1.gif (1512 bytes)

 

 

 

Champaran (Champajhar)

The village is identified with Champaranya, the birth place of the Saint Vallabhacharya, the reformer and founder of the Vallabh Sect for whom this place has religious sanctity. A temple was constructed in honour of Guru Swamy Vallabhacharya. Near to this Temple, there is the temple of Champakeshwara Mahadeva.

Fair

 

An annual fair is held every year in the month of Magh (January - February). Birth Anniversary of Mahapprabhu Vallabhacharya is celebrated every year on Eleventh bright day of Baisakh (April-May) and a large number of followers of the Sect assemble here to pay homage.

 

How to reach


The village Champajhar now known as Champaran is approachable from Raipur both via Arang (60 Km) and via Nawapara Rajim (68Km). There is a junction on Arang-Rajim Road at village Jonda and a tar road leads the visitor to Champaran. Buses are available from Raipur and Arang (25 km)

Where to stay

 

Two well famished big Dharmasalas having 108 rooms and 45 rooms are available at Champaran. P.W.D. Rest Houses are also available at Arang and Rajim. The reservation authorities are S.D.O., P.W.D.(B & R), Arang and Rajim respectively.

top1.gif (1512 bytes)


 

 

 

 

 

Sirpur or Shripur

Sirpur Temple

Sirpur or Shripur the city of wealth has been mentioned in ancient epigraphic records and dates back to a periods ranging from between the Fifth and the Eighth century A.D. It was then the capital of the Sarbhapuriya and Somvanshi Kings of Dakshin Kosala or Chhattigarh. It was an important centre of Buddhist from the 6th the 10th century A.D. and was visited by Hieun Tsang, the 7th Century Chinese Pilgrimist and Scholar. Excavations in and around the village have yielded scores of temple sites constructed of bricks, stone pillars and sculptures such as the Shiva Temple of Panchayatan style and the beautiful sculpture of Mahishasuramardini.Two Buddhist monasteries have also been found.

The Lakshmana Temple found here is a brick temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temple is the only brick temple of its size still standing in this State. The door frame is of stone and a figure of the reclining Vishnu on the Sheshnag may be found on the Lintel. This temple was built by Vasata, the widow queen of Harsh Gupta of the Somvansh. Another temple is the GANDHESHESHWARA TEMPLE (formerly Gandharveshvara) and is interesting because of the Epigraphic records and Genealogy of the Kings of the Somvansh. Some extremely good Vaishnav sculptures are to be found in the Mandapa and several Jain, Buddhist and Hindu Sculptures have been collected in the precincts of the temple .

The most interesting feature of the Sirpur site is that archeological pieces connected with the Shaiv,Vaishnav, Jain and Buddhist religions (of approximately the same age) have been found side by side. The ruins are seen on the banks of numerous tanks existing within a radius of about 6 kilometers around Sirpur.

Fair

A large religious fair is annually held here for three days beginning on Shivaratri (January / February) near the Candheshvara Temple. Public Works Department has constructed rest house at Sirpur.

How to reach

Sirpur is 78 Kms. away from Raipur on National Highway No. 6 on way to Sambalpur. From the 61st Kilometre on Raipur- Sambalpur Road, there is a bifurcation at Junction point of village KOHARI and a 17 Km Tar Road leads the visitor to Sirpur. One can also reach Sirpur from Mahasamund.  A rail head (on Raipur-Waltair S.E. Railway) by bus. The distance is just 29 Kms.

Where to stay

P.W.D. Rest House (2 rooms) Kosaria Patel Samaj Dharmasala and Nai Dhamasala (Free)

top1.gif (1512 bytes)


 

 

 

 

 

 

Other Places of Interest

Radha Krishna Temple

Radha Krishna Temple

Chandi Temple

Ram Temple

Swastik Vihar Monastery

Anand Premkuti Vihar (Monastery)

Museum

top1.gif (1512 bytes)

 

 

 

 

Turturiya

The Forest village Turturiya Situated on the bank of a spring called Turturiya or Sursuri Ganga contains numerous buddhist remains of 8th Century A.D. and the Brahmanical remains of later period. The site yielded numerous exquisitely sculptured pillars, remains of STUPA made of fine bricks, traces of bathing Ghats, Lingams figures of four armed Vishnu, Ganesha, a man hunting a lion with sword and a man wrestling with an animal. There are numerous heaps of ruins all of bricks, picked with stone. The place is of a great archaeological and anthropological interest.

How to reach

Turturiya is 29 Km from Baloda bazar and 24 Km from Sirpur which are respectively 84 Km and 78 Km from Raipur.

Where to stay

P.W.D. Rest Houses are available at Sirpur and Balodabazar, the reservation authorities are S.D.O. P.W.D.( B & R) Sirpur and Balodabazar respectively.

top1.gif (1512 bytes)


 

 

 

 

Rajim

Situated on the right bank of the river Mahanadi was one of the important urban centres in the Mahakoshal region. It is famous for its fine group of temples. The main temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu known as Rajivalochana Temple. The twelve pillars of the temple have tall single figures sculptured on the face like Durga with eight arms, the Ganga and Yamuna and exquisitely carved incarnation of Vishnu, Rama, Varaha (boar) and Narasimha (Man-cum-Lion) etc.

There is also a black stone statue of the Budha meditating under the Bodhi tree. There are other temples around the main temple of Rajivalochana dedicated to different incarnations of lord Vishnu such as Vamana (dwart) Narasimha (Man-cum-Lion) Badrinath and Jagannath. Of the ruins of numerous temples found nearby the most remarkable is that of Kuleshvara Mahadeva Temple. The tongue of the land on which the temple stands became severed from the main land by the river and is now actually on an island. Three inscriptions belonging to Somavanashis, Nalas and Kalchuris are found here.

top1.gif (1512 bytes)